LCF-17 for Nikkor 400mm FL
After my upgrade from the older Nikon 400mm f/2.8 to the newer ED FL version - I needed a lens foot replacement to allow the easy fit to my Arca Swiss mount. Since, I had my older 400mm f/2.8 lens plate from my former 400mm I took the factory installed foot off to discover it did indeed fit! BUT the new longer lens hood design of the new lens the would not go over the older style lens foot when the hood was reversed for storage. So, I was not able to use the older lens foot and store the hood reversed.
Really Right Stuff released the new LCF-17 that fits the new Nikkor 400mm ED FL lens. After placing my order with Really Right Stuff the foot replacement arrived a few days later. Using the supplied wrench I installed the new foot on in less than 5 minutes - a perfect fit for the lens and now the lens hood fit perfect for storage.
- Light weight, reduces the overall weight of the stock lens by a few ounces.
- Comes with a built in Arca Swiss mounting surface with anti slip screws already in place to keep the lens from sliding off if the mount becomes loosened.
- Provides access to the screw in mounting holes on the bottom of the foot.
- A bit pricey @ around $125.00 but I assume supply and demand is the reason.
- If you carry your lens by the foot, the original Nikon foot is rubberized and easier on the hand.
Recommendations: if you own a arca swiss mount / head do yourself a favor and go buy one of these lens plates. Having a built in mount reduces the worry of a 3rd party screw on plate loosing in the field + reduces weight.
Regardless of which lens /' camera your using - if you are mounting them using arca swiss plates I recommend you go visit the Really Right Stuff web site and look at the options.