Olympus LS 100 Field Review
I use my Olympus LS 100 mostly for transposing thoughts during my hour long commute going home. I also love to use it for recording environmental sounds like nature such as birds, brooks, wind, storms, rain, etc. This past weekend I used it to record a passing thunderstorm had I thought of doing it sooner it would have been a much intense recording. The recording turned out to be impromptu, I basically just held the recorder out the door and hit record, the spikes you here are rain drops hitting the microphones. oops!
What I like about the recorder:
- It is easy to use with multi storage folders for your work
- Runs forever on a charge
- Supports XLR & 1/4 inputs with Phantom Power
- Good pickup with excellent sound quality
- Records in different formats (MP3, PCM Wav), and different resolutions 24 bit / 96kHz
- Different Recording Options such as Multi Track, Voice Activated, Sync, and overdub
- Can be used as a USB Microphone on your computer
- Monitor Levels through display and headphones
- Ease of file transfer to computer
- Storage expansion with SD Card
What I don’t like about the recorder:
- Kind of chunky, I wish it was just a little smaller
- All hard plastic – pray I don’t drop it!
- Playback level is very low, you may need to put your ear to the speaker to hear it.
- Over Priced – about 100.00 too much
- Slight delay while in menu, causing you to overshoot selections
Solid performer with good sound quality & ease of use!! Overall I like it very much and would recommend the Olympus LS 100