Take it up a notch
The Nikon Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 MC Z mount lens is the sharpest 1:1 Macro lens I have EVER owned. It surpasses all of my macro lenses, including the Laowa 100mm and the new Laowa 90mm. The Nikon 105MC has better colors, contrast, corner-to-corner sharpness, 5-axis stabilization, superior weather sealing + full autofocus. The Nikon 105 is better than any macro lens to date. It is the King of 1:1 Macro. If you want to go beyond 1:1, buy a DCR-250 and enjoy 2x macro with super sharp images.
The venerable Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro lens has a long history in Nikon's lens lineup, and this newest S version has solidified the top spot for capturing top-notch superb Macro photos as well as a very versatile daily portrait lens. Nikon has improved and offers superior Macro and general photographic capabilities in the Nikkor Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MC VR S Macro lens. Exceptional!
I purchased mine direct from NikonUSA. I already have the older legacy 105mm F mount and enjoyed using the older 105 over the years but did not enjoy dealing with the FTZ adapter so, I purchased the Z mount 105mm knowing it will be an awesome lens to go with my Z camera bodies and eventually the replacement of the older 105mm.
One main reason to buy the Nikon 105mm VR S lens over the legacy 105mm F mount lens if you are a Z camera user is the S mounts directly to your Nikon Z camera body so you don't have to deal with the FTZ adapter. The second reason is this Native Macro lens is a superb all-around lens with exceptional and superior image quality.
Build Quality: Mostly plastic feels cheap. Not on the same high standard as the Legacy 105mm VR Macro from Nikon
Hand-Held Cats Eye f/16 1/60 sec
Optical Performance: At the end of the day, this is really what matters - it exceeds my expectations, especially when hand-holding using the Nikon Z's built-in Image stabilization.
Focus Performance: Slightly slower in lower light than my legacy 105mm but very snappy outside in the sunlight. On a plus side, this lens has a built-in focus limit switch
- Produces high-resolution images when used with a Nikon Z7/II.
- Exceptional sharpness all the way to the corners
- Lens has very high image quality, excellent color, and contrast.
- Little or no CA, Very small amount of Vignetting, No Color Fringing
- Lens VR performance outperforms earlier VR versions, allows for more sharp handheld shots
- Mounts direct to the Nikon Z mirrorless camera body, no FTZ adapter required.
- Programmable Function Buttons on Lens Barrel.
- Focus Limit Switch for macro shooters
- Slightly larger (longer) than the legacy 105mm F mount lens
- No dedicated on/off VR switch - in camera only.
- Does not support the Nikon Z Teleconverters, which is a big disappointment!
Summary: This is my long-awaited upgrade to my legacy 105mm F mount lens, and the wait was well worth it. Is it a leap forward? The simple answer is no, but it does not have to be and is an excellent macro lens. If you want to get into Macro with your Z mirrorless camera and don't mind the steep pricing, then this lens deserves consideration.
Use my Amazon Associate Links to get your Nikon Macro.
Z Mount Nikon 105mm Macro S
Z Mount Nikon 50mm Macro
F Mount Nikon 105mm Macro
Thanks for visiting TrueToad