Take it up a notch
The venerable Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro lens has a long history in Nikon's Lens line up, and this newest S version has solidified top-spot for capturing top-notch superb Macro photos as well as a very versatile daily portrait lens. Nikon has improved and offers superior Macro and general photographic capabilities in the Nikkor Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MC VR S Macro lens. Exceptional!
I got mine direct from NikonUSA. I already have the older legacy 105mm F mount and enjoyed using the older 105 over the years but did not enjoy dealing with the FTZ adapter so, I purchased the Z mount 105mm knowing it will be an awesome lens to go with my Z camera bodies and eventually the replacement of the older 105mm.
One main reason to buy the Nikon 105mm VR S lens over the legacy 105mm F mount lens if you are a Z camera user is the S mounts directly to your Nikon Z camera body so you don't have to deal with the FTZ adapter. The second reason is this Native Macro lens is a superb all-around lens with exceptional and superior image quality.
Build Quality: Mostly plastic feels cheap. Not on the same high standard as the Legacy 105mm VR Macro from Nikon
Hand-Held Cats Eye f/16 1/60 sec
Optical Performance: At the end of the day this is really what matters - exceeds my expectations especially when hand-holding using the Nikon Z's built-in Image stabilization.
Focus Performance: Slightly slower in lower light than my legacy 105mm but very snappy outside in the sunlight. On a plus side, this lens has a built-in focus limit switch
- Produces high-resolution images when used with a Nikon Z7/II.
- Lens has very high image quality, excellent color, and contrast.
- Lens VR performance outperforms earlier VR versions, allows for more sharp handheld shots
- Mounts direct to the Nikon Z mirrorless camera body, no FTZ adapter required.
- Programmable Function Buttons on Lens Barrel.
- Slightly larger (longer) than the legacy 105mm F mount lens
- No dedicated on/off VR switch - in camera only.
- Does not support the Nikon Z Teleconverters which is a big disappointment!
Summary: This is my long-awaited upgrade to my legacy 105mm F mount lens and the wait was well worth it. Is it a leap forward? The simple answer is no but, it does not have to be and is an excellent macro lens. If you want to get into Macro with your Z mirrorless camera and don't mind the steep pricing then this lens deserves consideration.
Get Yours here using my Amazon Associate Link
The cost to run this website is several thousand dollars a year - you can support it by using my embedded Amazon Associate links.